Friday, April 18, 2008

Everything looks worse in black and white.

Even though I go to the religious youth group every so often (and plan to start going more), I'm not now religious and don't particularly want to be religious. I have quite a few close friends who are quite religious, and I definitely find it interesting to talk to them, but at the end of the day? Believing in any sort of religion is like believing in alien abductions. There isn't any real proof. I'm actually having a bit of a hard time believing anything, at least in the abstract - I do feel relatively comfortable believing in the existence of gravity as it affects my life (as in, I do feel relatively comfortable believing that I'm not about to float off... sadly), but I don't really see why we can be 100% sure that our concept of gravity is the one true answer. I'm having a hard time believing that there's only one answer even for mathematical equations. There is as far as we know, but frankly, we used to believe all sorts of crazy stuff. Spontaneous generation, anyone? Or puppet shows are perfectly educational projects for seniors in advanced biology classes? Wait, that's still apparently firmly held.

New information is always going to pop up. I don't think it's possible to say that this is going to be always impossible. Something may be impossible to do now with the information we currently have, but who knows what's going to happen in the future? Maybe we'll merge with aliens and be able to comprehend all the deep secrets of the world. Maybe that sounds impossible, but if you had brought up the concept of the internet (or women's rights) to people 2000 years ago, you'd get some really funny looks. And you'd probably get burned as a witch. Oh the mirth.

I don't see why I'm constantly expected to have just one opinion on any given topic. Just because most people are incredibly limited in their ability to see other points of view (though there are several people - maybe even five! - out there who have one opinion about things who can see other points of view, this is not the majority of people) doesn't mean I have to be. Don't drag me down with you.

Not my fault I'm different. I like it.

1 comment:

Caution said...

AUGH.

WORD to that.